Some say starting a new year is like having a book with 365 empty pages. It somehow feels like we can start afresh. We are filled with hope, set goals and maybe make some resolutions. One of my resolutions or rather goals this year is to be more clear in my approach. I have always been sincere in my blog with regards to my opinion and the messages I delivered, but I may not have been very clear with regards to what it is I do. Interior Design is my business, in fact it is more than that, it is my life. I gave up a successful career in luxury hotel management to pursue my dream of becoming an interior designer. Whilst I have no regrets whatsoever and I am happy about following my heart, interior design is now more than just a passion, it is a business.
Of course, I will still write about trends, ideas and hotel (interior design) reviews, but occasionally I will also tell you more about my work and what I can do for you. I truly hope that my blog continues to inspire you and I always welcome your feedback!
What about you? Did you make any New Year’s resolutions? Maybe you finally want to tackle that home project of yours? 😉
Is inspiration enough?
Most likely you landed on my page, because you were looking for something – ideas, inspiration, a solution to your problem or maybe even some help. Some of you will get what they need from a blog, such as mine, others will realise that they cannot do it alone or that they don’t have the skills nor the time to do it themselves.
To DIY or not to DIY
I think DIY is a great thing and there are many great blogs and YouTube videos out there showing you exactly what is possible and how to do it. However, I also believe that DIY is not for everyone. You need certain skills, time, the willingness to sacrifice other things and above all you should enjoy doing DIY.
If the above does not apply to you, then you may be interested to know the benefits of hiring an interior designer…
12 reasons why you should hire an interior designer:
1) You are unsure which style is most suited for you, your family and your home.
2) You find it difficult to choose and combine colours.
3) You can’t seem to find the time to tackle your project.
4) You don’t have time to surf the Internet for hours or visit furniture store after furniture store to find what you need.
5) You don’t know where to start with your project, feel overwhelmed with choices and end up doing nothing.
6) You have made bad choices and purchases with regards to furniture in the past.
7) You don’t like the look and feel of your home.
8) You are ashamed to invite people to your home.
9) You admire other people’s homes and wish yours could look that good.
10) You just want to settle in quickly in your new home.
11) You are unsure where to place your furniture and how to maximize your space.
12) You and your partner cannot seem to agree on how to design your home.
Basically, you just want to feel comfortable and happy in your home. So if any or several of the above statement(s) apply to you, then I may be able to help.
I run a 3-tiered interior design services business, making it suitable for all budget levels:
Interior Design Workshops
If you have some skills and a keen interest in interior design and/ or you are on a tight budget, then you can join one of my full day interior design workshops ‘How to develop a design concept’. You will learn the basics of interior design, get lots of tips and tricks and take home your very own concept board to get you started on your project.
For more information and bookings click here.
Interior Design Coaching, Design Consultations & Personal (Home) Shopping
If you feel overwhelmed with choices, have a somewhat restricted budget, are not sure where to start and need some guidance, you can book an interior design coaching session with me. This is a one-on-one session, where I will give you clear ideas and tips and outline the next possible steps on how to improve your home. After the Interior Design coaching session you can either tackle your project on your or you can hire me for further consultations and/ or to go shopping for furniture, lighting and soft furnishing.
For more information and bookings click here.
Customised Interior Design Services
If you need help with the concept, space planning, drawings, furniture, lighting and materials selection and sourcing, as well as with the organisation of contractors (curtain makers, electricians, plumbers, builders etc.) then you may like my customised turnkey service, offering you a full interior design service at a fixed fee. This service is particularly suitable for larger projects, such as the furnishing of entire rooms, houses and of course renovations.
For more information and enquiries click here.
So what are the benefits if you hire an interior designer you may ask.
6 benefits of hiring an interior designer and some of my past clients’ feedback:
1) Getting a better understanding of the many elements of Interior Design and how they work together, so that you feel more confident designing your own home:
‘There is so much more to interior design than I realised and I’ve learnt a vast amount during the workshop. Simone offers a fountain of real world knowledge and advice.’ (Interior Design Workshop)
2) Avoiding costly mistakes by positioning lighting correctly and defining suitable light fixtures, colour schemes and wall treatments:
‘The advice Simone provided saved a lot of hassle and costs down the line because we were able to make the right interior design decisions on time.’ (Interior Design Coaching and drawing of lighting plans)
3) Maximising space by selecting the right furniture in terms of size, style and colour:
‘It was well worth working with you in every regard. You are definitely an expert in your field with a boundless amount of energy and enthusiasm shown throughout the day. We really felt that you had our best interests at heart and we truly appreciate everything you did for us.’ (Interior Design Coaching and Personal (home) Shopping)
4) Discovering hidden potential and enhancing your current space using the furniture and items you already have:
‘Simone conveyed new ideas using simple tricks. We were fascinated by her “hands-on” approach and how tweaking small pieces of furniture and deco items would already enhance the look of our apartment.’ (Interior Design Coaching)
5) Saving time and feeling comfortable more quickly in your new home:
‘We are so grateful for your wonderful expertise and style – you have helped us feel so comfortable in our home quicker than we ever would have on our own.’ (Interior Design Coaching and Personal (home) Shopping)
6) Getting unique and custom designed results with surprising solutions you may not have been aware of:
‘Simone is an excellent Interior Designer who is very meticulous, creative and produces a superior product.’ (Customised interior design services)
Whether you chose to hire an interior designer (for example me…) or not, I wish you all the best with your home projects, because I truly believe that our home has a great impact on our health and wellbeing!
Posted by Simone Aïda Baur: I’m a multi-lingual, multi-cultural and multi-passionate award winning international interior designer, award winning blogger and ex-hotelier. I have turned my life upside down more than once. Feel free to learn more about my story and connect with me on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram and YouTube.
P.S. If you enjoyed reading this post and would like to regular news about interior design, design hotels and restaurants, as well as useful tips for your home, then please sign up for my newsletter below.